Goalie Fights: Because you are more of a winner if the loser has less teeth

Monday, March 7, 2011

Ride the Lightning

Or perhaps they are all high. Whatever the cause, the Philadelphia Flyers, who are arguably the best team in the NHL this season, look like this (hint, I'm not saying they look like the unabomber from behind). What the snooki-scrotum is going on?

First of all, this is no threat level midnight style crisis. However, if I were a Philly fan (and I know a lot of them), I would be at least moderately concerned. And by moderately concerned, I mean that they are probably demonstrating why they will be the San Jose Sharks of the East for this season, and maybe the next one or two, which is probably the worst thing any sports fan could ever hear their favorite team likened to. So let me justify such a death sentence of a claim.

First, the Flyers are immensely talented. I, as a non-flyers fan (yet I do not hate them, making me probably the only person in the universe who can say that with a straight face), will readily admit that they are the deepest team in the NHL. They have solid 3rd and 4th lines, they have stars like Briere, Carter, Richards, and Pronger (I loathe him though. This picture just tells me I'm right), they have a young, solid goalie in Bobrovsky (yes, he is for real, at least for this season), they have some great role players/future stars in Versteeg, Leino, and Giroux, and Laviolette is a quality coach. Additionally, there are only 2 teams in the rest of the league who rival them on paper, and that is the always quality Detroit Red Wings, and the league-leading-despite-everyone-on-their-defense-being-dead Vancouver Canucks. Personally, I think the Canucks are good, but the Sedin twins somehow manage to turn into Joaquin Phoenix's career come playoff time. So, we will see about them (read, they will not be in the finals). So, even if the Fly Guys slump a little, who gives a Zhitnik?

Well, Philly fans should. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say the turn this recent slump around, totally forgetting about how the NY Rangers destroyed them 7-0 (Phil Osgood would be proud).   I find it always a bad sign when any team in any sport enters the playoffs playing like a turds, but they are great, they can over come this, right? Wrongo.

Enter, the Stevie Y built Tampa Bay Lightning. Yes, those same Lightning that are behind a surprisingly poor Capitals team in the standings this year, that have only 3 players you can name (4 if you are a hockey fan) and who were at various points of the previous few seasons the definition of craptastic. The Lightning are solid, on the rise NHL team. But they ain't no flyers (just don't tell them I said that). Despite the fact that they are not as good as those Philly Phlyers (why isn't it spelled like that anyway), they own them this season. And I mean own.

This would be less problematic for the flyers if they 1) were burning the world down with stellar play, or 2) the lightning were not going to make the playoffs. But neither is the case. Not only are the Flyers stinky like Kardashian vag, I'd be willing to bet (if I were a gambler) that they are going to be seeing these Tampa Bay Bolts in a playoff round at some point.  So lets say the flyers survive teams like the newly defensive Washington Caps, the always dangerous Pittsburg Penguins, the Buffalo Ryan Millers (who can win any series on his back alone, but probs not the whole shebang) or the, oh wait, NY RANGERS (the flyers just beat them 7-0, so no worries flyer fans. oh wait. $4!#. The Rangers hung the 7 spot on the flyers. Classic mixup), they still may have to face the team that has kicked their @$$ blueline to blueline every time they've played.

All I am saying is, Philly fans, quit being so cocky. I've heard your shenanigans all season, and your ego is showing. Yes, you have a great team, but they aren't invincible. They have quite the achilles heel, and I'd hate to gloat over you when my boys raise the cup (read: suck it). You can be excited all you want, just don't think you can walk into the finals. Lightning crashes in unexpected places sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment