Goalie Fights: Because you are more of a winner if the loser has less teeth

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Playoff Update

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I have your attention please...

If you've been watching, you'll already know what I am about to tell everyone who FOOLISHLY HAS NOT BEEN WATCHING THE NHL PLAYOFFS EVEN THOUGH I TOLD THEM TO LAST WEEK. If you haven't been, then lucky for you, its not too late. In fact, I think the greatness of these playoffs is just beginning. But, before we look ahead, lets take a moment to recap whats started these playoffs out as the maybe the best I've ever seen.

All over but the crying:

A special thanks to the following two series for making me look like I may know what I am talking about.

Red Wings vs The Franchise Formerly Known as Phoenix

Sweep central here. I picked the Wings in 5, because its hard to sweep an NHL team. That little fact is why part of the reason why the Wings showed me some scary stuff in the first round. Compound that with the fact that they did it without heart-and-soul-two-way-forward-who-plays-even-better-in-the-playoffs-conn-smythe-winner Henrik Zetterberg, and without the Mule for the 4th game, and I'd say that these Wings were maybe on cruise control for much longer than anyone thought this season. That would make sense, considering their age and experience. I am sure Babcock thought they could turn it on, if they were coasting, and he was very correct. This series just reinforced my opinion that the Wings are a Finals team, especially with the extra rest they will now get.

Caps vs Rangers

The Caps proved a lot in this series. Coming from 3-0 down to win in 2OT in game four will be the defining game for this team if they make a deep run, which they are going to do. The Rangers came in to the series confident, despite being the lowly 8 seed, and played very well. The Caps were able to exorcise their past playoff demons, thanks largely to their new found defensive commitment. The caps are the ONLY team in the east that look at all good, so my thoughts on them making the finals is not changed at all either. I feel like regardless of who they get from now until the SCF, they probably win in 5, 6 if they have an off goalie night. Either way, congrats Caps fans, you are sitting pretty.

3-2's (AKA Everyone else):

Buffalo vs Sillydelphia

When the Flyers inevitably lose this series, there are two people to put the blame for this most epic of disappointments on: Mike Richards and Peter Laviolette, and here's why; lack of leadership is killing this team. First, losing games to Buffalo is embarrassing. But to come out and go down 3 (count 'em, 3) goals to Buffalo in the most pivotal game of the series in game 5, AFTER the opposing coach called you whiners? How does that happen? If anyone wants to talk about how the Flyers came back and almost won, let me point out that they lost. As in, they didn't win, and they didn't deserve to. Most of this blame has to go to Richards. He is the captain. It is his job to emotionally lead the team, on and off the ice. If I was the captain of a team that pulled that crap, I'd be pretty embarrassed. But just blaming Richards ignores maybe the worst coaching decision of the last 5 years (in the playoffs anyway): The goalie carousel that is the Flyers. Quick question, and if you think you have any sort of rational answer, please post it in the comments, because I'd love to hear it; how is Michael Leighton even getting a sniff of the ice, let alone ACTUALLY PLAYING IN A PLAYOFF GAME? Bobrovsky played well in game 1, and game 2 you could argue that he wasn't at his best. But let me point something out to you: Bob let in 3 in the first, BUT SO DID RYAN MILLER. There are periods like that in hockey, where goals just go in. Its just one of those things, just like there are periods where every shot hits every post, stick handle, and part of the net without going in. You roll with those. However, Laviolette did not agree with that idea. Here is exactly what went through his mind, 'We have been playing terrible, and if I let Bob in and he doesn't play well, then it's MY fault for not pulling him. If I pull him and Boucher stinks, well, what could I have done.' Pulling Bob was the wrong move, especially from a long run perspective. If you stick with him through that first period, I guarantee you he has new found confidence because they stuck with him, both long term and short term. But not only does Laviolette pull him, he DOESN'T EVEN DRESS HIM NEXT GAME. Are you f*cking kidding me (literally my thought when I found that out). Thats pretty unprecedented. Your game 1 and 2 starting goalie isn't good enough to even dress anymore? Makes great sense. I'd rather have the guy who didn't play all year, wasn't claimed off of waivers OR re-entry waivers, and who let in the weakest Cup clinching goal of all time (like he doesn't have the most fragile confidence in the playoffs of any goalie outside of Robert Long). Yep, I'd rather have him than the kid that not only got us here, but the future of our franchise. Two serious questions; 1) do you think the Red Wings would ever pull something like this (as they pretty much do stuff the right way) and 2) do you really think the Flyers have any shot at winning a cup with the tandem of Boucher and Leighton? I'll give you a hint, the answers are the same, and they rhyme with 'smell ducking snow.' In any event, the Flyguys are crashing and burning right now. I'll be happy for Ryan Miller to win a playoff series. He deserves it. Sorry Flyers fans, its sad to see such a good team go down so epicly.

Boston vs Habeneros (thats an approximate translation)

They say that a series doesn't start until the home team wins, right? I feel like I'm getting that wrong, but it works here, so whatever. This series is a bit of madness. Great to watch, and absurdly unpredictable. I picked the Canadiens in 5, which was easily my dumbest guess from a games perspective, but thats okay. I have loved the insanity of the series thus far. Literally, I have no idea how this finishes. The Habs could easily win the last 2, or they could get punked hard next game. Who knows. Either way, it'll be fun to watch. I just feel like Carey Price is a better bet than Tim 'Lucksack' Thomas. But maybe thats just me.

Pittsburgh vs Tampa Bay

Well, as interesting as this series is, with Malkin and Crosby dead, and Stamkos going to Cabo with Jessica Simpson until game 5, I am intrigued that the Penguins are winning. More than anything, it tells me that the Bolts are probably 2 years away from serious cup contention, because the Penguins aren't good enough to win a playoff series otherwise. You'll see in the next round, although, I get the feeling that maybe the lightning have finally decided to play. They could still win this. Tune in to see.

Vancouver vs Chicity

Well, the 3-0 hole wasn't good. But, leave it to the mentally frail Robert Long to lead the choke fest. The Blackhawks are getting hot, and Luongo is getting to be a liability. I am incredibly dubious of the Sedins ability to lead through adversity, and the Blackhawks are the Canucks biggest demon. You never want to be playing just to escape a series, and thats what the 'nucks are doing now. Bad, bad news. I stick by my pick, even though the 3-0 is nearly impossible to overcome. Hawks in 7.

Kings vs Sharks

Ugh, 4 goal lead blown. But, to come out the next game and go up 3-0 in the first again? Impressive resiliency. Thats mental toughness, and thats leadership. What don't the sharks have? Leadership (in my opinion). True, something got them to rally from 4-0 to win in OT, but I'm not ready to say that one game proves the previously mentioned big named sharks players are actually leaders. Rather, I think its worse that they don't show up to play the first period in any game. I think the Kings are playing better than the Sharks. The home ice for the Sharks doesn't faze the Kings, who are a better road team than a home team at times. Game 7 in San Jose? I'm taking Kings. Drew Doughty, just get me there.

Nashville vs Emilio Esteves (is that a court case?)

The series has lived up to the expectations. Scrappy, gritty, tight. Tough, tough games. Beautiful. Game 5 was the defining game, I think, not because it was a game 5 so much as the way Nashville refused to lose. I don't think they are as talented as Anaheim, but the are a better team, and they will not stop fighting. I love that in a playoff team. They get two cracks at finishing off the Ducks, and I expect them to do it in their first chance. That OT loss has to have a hang over, so expect Nashville to get the early jump in game 6. Congrats to them when they pull it off.

Other news and notes:

People need to relax about the Phillies not hitting anything but singles. They are winning, and thats how they are going to win. If you hit a single and want a double, steal second. They are playing just how they need to. Credit to Chuckie Manuel.

Shout out to the Pacers. Its a shame they won't win that series, and that they are playing the Bulls. I wish that somehow, the Pacers could have played the Lakers (I know they are in different conferences people, but this is my fantasy) because they would destroy them. Like the Thunder are going to do later. Bwahahahaha

Cleveland Indians, keep it going chums. Looking good. Baltimore, you are killing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment